Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Do You Remember The Time?

It's almost here!

And for once, I'm ready!

The cards are mailed.

Our stockings are hung.

The presents are finished and (most of them) are wrapped.

All that's left is a little Christmas Eve baking & we're good to go!



Which means that I'm now thinking ahead to The New Year.  

As you probably already know, I'm not much of a journaler.  
I'm not sure why, but I never have been.
Even as a kid, my diary would sit empty & ignored for months between entries.  

So, 2 years ago, in an attempt to make my journaling a little more consistent, I started doing a monthly questions layout. 

Every month I answer each of the following questions about things that I love this month:

1. What was my favorite meal or restaurant?
2. What was my  favorite TV show or movie?
3. What was my favorite typical weekly activity?
4. What was my favorite place to shop this month?
Favorite purchase?
5. Did I learn any new scrapping techniques?
6. Did the kids (or pets, in my case) learn any new tricks this month?
7. What did I love the most about (this month's holiday)

(I'm sure that I found this list of questions in a book or magazine or on a website somewhere, but I have no idea where.)

I also add some random journaling here & there.  
For example, in the 30 days leading up to Thanksgiving, I did a 30 Days of Thankful list.
(One thing each day that I was thankful for.)

I keep all of these here:

Functional, but not very inspiring.  
I started keeping them here thinking that I would later transfer the  journaling to the computer & toss the notebook itself.
I'm now regretting that. 
I wish I had used something a bit sturdier that I could keep intact.
After all, 2 years of my life are in that little book.

This year I decided that I needed something a little nicer.  
Something a little more permanent.
So I made this:







Supplies: Composition Book, PP: DCWV At Home Stack, Mod Podge, Flowers: Prima, 
Pearl Brads: Imaginisce, Letter Brads: JoAnn Craft Essentials, Ribbon: Unknown

In the spirit of expanding my journaling skills, I've also decided to add to my list of questions this year.  
In addition to the ones listed above, each month I will also finish each of the following sentences
(mostly snagged from Big Picture Classes Big Idea Festival this past fall)

I love...
I like...
I loathe...
I live...
I listen...
I lack...
I lost...
I learn...
I labor...
I lament...
I lean...

I've decided that I'm going to keep making myself a new journal every year or so.  
I think that having a pretty place to put my thoughts will be motivation to do it a little more often.

If anyone would like directions on how to do your own journal, please feel free to email me & I will post a tutorial.

I hope you all have a wonderful, safe & happy holiday!

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea!
    I keep saying I am going to do a scrapbook about me...never happened. This is doeable.
    I love how you covered the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journal is so pretty, and I think I'm going to have to steal some of your journaling prompts! I need them sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really pretty! Good luck on your journal journey. I tried that a few times but I admit, I'm not good at keeping up with it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely journal and I love the idea of the monthly log!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving me comments! I love to hear what you have to say!